Today is World Mental Health Day and to commemorate this day, I will be sharing different ways to maintain/enhance your mental health. Most of what I will be sharing are steps I personally take to maintain my sanity, especially in my line of business.
- Love yourself – Your Mental Health is very linked to how much you love yourself. It’s easy for us to scream “I love myself” or use hashtag – #Selflove on every post we share on instagram, but if you do not truly love yourself, it will tell on your mental health sooner or later. Treat yourself with kindness and respect. Make time for your hobbies and broaden your horizon. Exercise regularly, take dance lessons, learn to play an instrument or become fluent in another language. Just be engaged.
- Take Care of You – Taking care of yourself physically can improve your mental health. Be sure to eat nutritious meals, drink plenty of water, Exercise (again) which helps decrease depression and anxiety and improve moods & Get enough sleep. Surround yourself with good people and run from toxic people. Also note that your toxic is not my toxic. So if a certain gathering or lifestyle works for your friend, it doesn’t mean it will work for you.
- Build a strong support system – People with strong support system are generally healthier than those who lack a support network. Make plans with supportive family members and friends.
- Meet New People – If meeting people is a fun activity for you, seek out activities where you can meet new people. This doesn’t work for everyone. So it’s necessary you know what enhances your mood. Some of us don’t like meeting people but network when necessary.
- Do You – You cannot engage in an activity because your friend or someone you admire enjoy the activity. Try to know what makes you really happy and engage. There is no space for unhealthy competition.
- Resist Peer Pressure – Grow yourself enough to avoid peer pressure. We have, for a long time, associated peer pressure to teenage problems but it happens to all age group. Be comfortable in who you have become and are becoming and your choices.
- Learn to deal with Stress – Like it or not, stress is a part of life. Learn how to deal with it: take a walk, play with your pet or try writing. Also, remember to smile and laugh. Research shows that laughter can boost your immune system, ease pain, relax your body and reduce stress. Another thing I do when I’m beginning to feel overwhelmed is that I exercise, cry (if and when it comes) and pray. After this I can just sleep off and I feel my peace all coming back to where it used to be.
- Set realistic goals – Decide what you want to achieve academically, professionally and personally, and write them down. Aim high, but be realistic and don’t over-schedule. Also do not be too hard on yourself when you fail, you can always try again.
- Seek help when you need it – Seeking help is a sign of strength, not a weakness. Don’t try to be strong or be seen as strong by your friends, colleagues or family. When you need help, seek it unapologetically.
I will end this by stating this clearly – being single is not the end of the world. It’s not a disease. Enjoy your single-hood till love comes. Don’t drive yourself into depression. You are absolutely fine. Don’t be pressured and don’t pressure yourself. Enjoy and Live Life! #WorldMentalHealthDay
These points are all spot on! Thanks for sharing. So many people struggle everyday with mental health issues and reminders like this go a long way in helping them overcome the struggle.
Christiana Acha recently posted…quotes that inspire you to stand up for what you believe in
This is so good.
Thanks for enlightening US.