Casa Africa is holding the 12th edition of the Casa Africa Prizes for Essays on African Themes to recognize, promote, and publicize original and unpublished essays that enhance people’s knowledge and opinions of the African continent.
Theme: CLIMATE CHANGE IN AFRICA.
- Entrants must be 18 years and above.
- Applicants should not have any form of working and/or professional relations with Casa África, or with any of the institutions that are a part of it (such as Canary Island Government, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Co-operation, Spanish International Development Co-operation Agency, and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria City Council).
- Simultaneous submissions are unacceptable. Only one essay per author is acceptable, but a single essay may be signed by more than one author, in which case, each of them must present the documentation requested.
- Essays must be original, unpublished, and must not have won any other prizes or be pending the judgement in different events or competitions.
- There must be a guarantee by participants that there are no third-party rights over the essays submitted, and they shall be liable for all claims that may arise regarding this.
- The essays may be submitted in any of the following languages: English, Spanish, French, or Portuguese.
- It is advisable that your essay is thoroughly edited before submission.
- The required word count is 15,000 words min and 20,000 words max (excluding bibliography).
- Ensure that your essay is unique and that it would make a good lasting statement to the reader.
- Documents should be in Word Arial 12 Format and double spaced.
- Essays must be submitted unsigned, and they will only be identified by the title of the work and any pseudonym an author may decide to use. Both the essay title and the pseudonym should appear on every page of the essay, and pages must be numbered. However, any signed essays will not be accepted for the essay competition.
- Ensure you fill in the entry form. The same title and pseudonym/s that are used on the essay submitted to the competition must also appear on the entry form, alongside other information on the author or authors of the work such as, name and surnames, National Identity Card or Passport number, nationality, address, telephone number, e-mail, and signature.
- All essays should be submitted in WORD format, alongside the entry application, while the photocopy of the National Identity Card or Passport must be sent by e-mail only, to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The deadline for submitting essays and the necessary documentation is 17th September 2020.
- Any essay that arrives after the deadline will not be accepted. Participants whose proper documentation is not received in full within the established deadline will also be dismissed from the competition.
The prize of €2,000 shall be awarded to a winner. Payment of the prize shall be subject to the Spanish tax legislation, which is in effect at the time the payment is made, regardless of the fiscal residence of the winning author or authors.